Vocational teacher education
The next application period for vocational teacher education colleges is in January 2011.
The aim of vocational teacher education is to provide the students with
- the knowledge and skills needed in the guidance of the learning process of individual students
- the competencies to advance their own teaching area, taking into account the development of working life and professions.
The extent of vocational teacher education is 60 ECTS credits. It includes studies in the basics of educational sciences and in vocational pedagogy, and a teaching practice, among other studies. Further information on modes of study and their implementation is available on the Internet site of Vocational Teacher Education Colleges.
The teacher education college will check your qualifications. According to Act 356/2003, a person with the education and work experience required for a teaching post at a polytechnic or an institute of vocational education can be admitted to vocational teacher education.
The qualifications are determined by the following legislation:
- The Decree on the Qualifications of Educational Staff 986/1998
- The Polytechnic Act 564/2009
- The Decree on Polytechnics 352/2003.
Vocational teacher Education (in English) is arranged in:
- Helsinki: The Haaga-Helia School of Vocational Teacher Education
- Jyväskylä: Vocational Teacher Education College
More information on vocational teacher education (in Finnish) at www.opekorkeahaku.fi.